Prompts for writing poems...
Prompt: Speak in the voice of a creature or
feral element to invite humans to think in a new way…
Advice from a Raindrop
You think you’re too small
to make a difference? Tell me
about it. You think you’re
helpless, at the mercy of forces
beyond your control? Been there.
Think you’re doomed to disappear,
just one small voice among millions?
That’s no weakness, trust me. That’s
your wild card, your trick, your
implement. They won’t see you coming
until you’re there, in their faces, shining,
festive, expendable, eternal. Sure you’re
small, just one small part of a storm that
changes everything. That’s how you win,
my friend, again and again and again.
Prompts for writing prose...
1. What is your earliest memory...?
2. When did you first encounter the natural world...?
3. How would you tell a child about your own childhood...?
4. What conversations happened at your childhood dinner table...? What conversations never happened? What would you say now—speaking into that silence?
5. What are some accomplishments in adult life that you cherish? What were the earliest tributaries of one of these...how did they start...?